August 16, 2012
Fiji’s Anthony reiterates police report on Bainimarama is unchanged
Posted at 20:02 on 15 August, 2012 UTC
A Fiji union leader Felix Anthony has reiterated he has not withdrawn or changed his statement to police over threats and abuse he says he was subjected to by military officers 18 months ago.
He says the regime leader, Commodore Frank Bainimarama, was among those involved.
Mr Anthony was speaking out again in reaction to an interview with the Commodore who told Radio Tarana Mr Anthony had withdrawn his statement.
But Mr Anthony says there needs to be a reality check and mischief-making by some media is part of the Fiji regime’s strategy to sweep the abuse under the carpet.
The interim government last week dismissed Mr Anthony’s claims saying he had no evidence but Mr Anthony says the regime should stop misleading the Fiji public and the international community.
He says he has medical reports on his injuries but has been told he can’t have a report by the first doctor who examined him at Lautoka Hospital.
The union leader says he is waiting to hear about progress in the police investigation.